Date: March 8, 2018
To: All Minsi Trails Council Registered Volunteers
From: Jim Roberts, Council Training Chairman
Craig Poland, Scout Executive
Re: National BSA Youth Protection Training Update
Over the decades , the Boy Scouts of America has been a national leader in developing training and polices designed to keep young people safe. These polices were considered groundbreaking
when developed and soon became the standard for other organizations. When it comes to the safety of children, the Boy Scouts' goal is to always improve.
During the past two years, the National Council has worked with experts in the field of child abuse, child sexual abuse and maltreatment to develop new training resources that will further
strengthen our ability to protect youth. The changes include:
- Creation of an updated and revised online Youth Protection Training (YPT) program. This new YPT is for all adult leaders. There will no longer be separate training for Venturing and
- Expanded youth protection content across all BSA communication platforms to better inform and engage volunteers and parents.
- An expanded ScoutsFirst Helpline (1-844-SCOUTSl or 1-844-726-8871) to aid volunteers and families in addressing potentially dangerous situations. Leaders should contact law
enforcement immediately in case of suspected inappropriate behavior.
- Unlimited counseling and support provided by the BSA for anyone who has been abused in Scouting.
- New Youth Protection Training for youth members beginning in 2019.
To support the updated Youth Protection Training and corresponding initiatives above, the National Council recently announced new mandatory requirements, including:
- As of January 1, 2018, no new leader can be registered without first completing Youth Protection Training. Minsi Trails Council has required new leaders to complete YPT
before registering for several years as well as providing all clearances required by PA Act 15.
- As of January 1, 2018, no council, regional, or national leader will be allowed to renew their registration if they are not current on their Youth Protection Training. Minsi Trails
has had a policy requiring all council leaders (Executive Board) to have current YPT for several years.
- As of June 1, 2018, adults accompanying Scout units on activities who are present for 72 hours or more must take Youth Protection Training. The 72 hours need not be
consecutive. Minsi Trails Council already requires adults to complete YPT and in the case of Pennsylvania residents, possess required PA Act 15 clearances to attend
Akelaland, Settlers or Camp Minsi.
- As of October 1, 2018, all new and currently registered leaders must complete the updated Youth Protection Training. The only persons exempt from this policy are
Institutional Heads and Lion/Tiger Adult Partners. Note - when taking the updated YPT, you must finish all three sections and the test to complete the process. You
will not be credited with completing YPT by only taking the test.
Please be aware: the final requirement listed above to complete the updated Youth Protection Training by October 1, 2018 may require some adult leaders to retake the updated YPT while
still having an unexpired certificate. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused by retaking this training, but it is necessary to be compliant with the wide range of legal requirements faced
the BSA across the country. Units will be unable to recharter until all leaders have completed the updated Youth Protection Training.
Instructions on how to complete the new Youth Protection Training are located on the Minsi Trails Council website homepage at www.minsitrails.org.
Fortunately, thanks to the foresight of Minsi Trail's Council's volunteer training committee, the impact of these new requirements should be minimal. Should you have questions about these
new requirements, please contact your District Executive or Priscilla Nagy, training coordinator at email@example.com.
Thank you for your assistance in making Scouting a safe and positive experience for everyone.
P.O. Box 20624
Lehigh Valley, PA 18002-0624
P 610-264-8551 F 610-465-4500
Prepared. For Life":